POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Isosurfaces *much* slower in beta 7? : Re: Isosurfaces *much* slower in beta 7? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:18:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurfaces *much* slower in beta 7?
From: R  Suzuki
Date: 1 Nov 2001 03:51:05
Message: <3be10cf9@news.povray.org>
Hi,
I am sorry for the delay in responding to these messages because I
am somewhat busy due to other works.

>It is because it was never documented anywhere so I assumed
>it was an inconsistent behavior in the code.

I have sent an old paper, which describes the algorism of isosurface
root finding and the dynamic (or adaptive) maximum gradient
estimation method, to you (Thorsten)  by e-mail a few months ago.

I have not written the description on my web because the paper
has not been published.  But maybe it's time to open it.
It is very simple as following.

**** Dynamic maximum gradient estimation *****
max_gradient G_max
"eval(uate) P0, P1, P2"
where
  P0 is the minimum max_gradient value in the estimation process,
  P1 should be more than 1 (over-estimation parameter), and
  P2 should be less than 1 (attenuation parameter).

The max_gradient, G_max, is re-calculated for each ray as following
        If (G_max< G*P1)
             then   G_max = G*P1*P1
             else if (G_max>P0) then G_max = G_max*P2,

where G is the calculated maximum gradient of one ray.

If the gradient changes smoothly in the whole region, we can lower
the above parameters.  As a result, we can accelerate the rendering
speed. But if there are large discontinuities in the 'gradient',
it may not work for low values.

This method has two purposes, one is evaluation of max_gradient,
and the other is acceleration of the rendering speed using the "else if"
part.
That part is removed (or P2=1) in beta 7, isn't it?

R. Suzuki